I post to the main blog (front page of the site) on a more or less daily basis.
Many of these entries are Twitter-like posts of only fleeting relevance. Something happens, I comment. I move on.
The entries linked below are longer pieces that I see as having a longer shelf life. The topics range from book publishing and writing to politics and culture.
The tone, likewise, varies from the purely informative and the lighthearted, to the unabashedly opinionated.
Archived essays and columns
- Generation X and helicopter parenting
- James Clavell’s novels, ranked
- Should you outline that novel or not? 9 considerations
- Why you should read Stephen King’s Night Shift short story collection
- Rewatching Platoon (1986)
- Neil Peart (1952 – 2020)
- The Iran I remember
- “Trigger warnings” and the writer
- How New Year’s Eve 1986 made me swear off alcohol
- The Karate Kid (1984), and the perils of adults writing about teens
- Rereading ‘Salem’s Lot after 35 years
- The Breakfast Club: it’s strengths…and yes, it’s flaws
- The Apple Store business model is broken
- My top three recurring dreams
- Southern Ohio’s Dead Man’s Curve
- The best rock albums of the 1980s
- Digital sharecropping in the social media age
- Binge-watching The Sopranos in 2018