This site is mainly about fiction. I do, however, opine with some frequency about various topics. These opinion pieces take the form of short blog posts, as well as full-fledged essays.
Many of the short blog posts are ephemeral in nature, and I have no qualms about letting them disappear into the deep oblivion of the daily feed. About once or twice per week, however, I’ll write an opinion piece that deserves a longer shelf life. These are organized and hyperlinked below.
Languages and language-learning
Television and film
- The rebooted Magnum P.I.
- Red Sparrow (starring Jennifer Lawrence)
- The Sopranos
- S.W.A.T., polyamory, and whatnot
- In Harm’s Way, and the maturation of Chinese filmmaking
Books, writing, and authors
- Rereading ‘Salem’s Lot after 35 years
- Stephen King’s short story collection, Night Shift
- Writers: If you need a “sensitivity reader”, you need a different book
- AMSAdwerks, and the inevitable reconsolidation of publishing
Technology, Internet, social media
Science and medicine
Advice, memoir, and philosophical musings (i.e., miscellaneous stuff that doesn’t really fit into any other category)
- Seek contentment, not happiness
- On age and humility
- Are New Year’s resolutions really worthwhile?
- Drinking and me: a brief personal history
- Remembering my childhood “shark phase”
- Remembering those Burger Chef Star Wars posters of 1977
- My first lesson in manipulation
- Anthrax and anxiety
- This newly bearded era